The pressure to undergo digital transformation is at an all-time high. And while most organizations have embraced modern technologies like cloud, AI, and automation to accelerate their digital transformation journeys, the results are rather unsatisfactory. But no matter how many new tools you implement, unless you have your automated testing game together, you won’t be able to complete your projects with speed and quality.
The Need for Automated Testing
In today’s digital era, speed is of the essence. Whether you are crafting new processes or building new products, you need to be quick. However, given how complex the software development landscape has become, manual approaches to development or testing is not scalable or sustainable in the long run.
If you want to keep pace with evolving trends, address customer requirements in time, and act swiftly, you need to build a culture of automated testing. Since testing applications is a critical aspect of quality assurance, automated testing can empower quality engineers to test more in less time and with less effort. Moreover, it can help teams:
- Save time and money in the testing process and quickly bring quality products to the market.
- Increase test coverage and reduce the chances of manual errors impacting the quality of the product under test.
- Improve test accuracy and reliability and deliver expected and favorable results every time.
- Take a standardized approach to software testing that is free of complexities, inefficiencies, and bias.
- Carry out testing simultaneously with development instead of after the product has been built, where bugs are more complex and costly to resolve.
- Enable reusability and avoid writing tests and running them repeatedly when the code base changes.
- Leverage automated test scripts to run critical tests on the go, thus minimizing testing efforts by a substantial degree.
- Simplify testing by reducing the level of stress and frustration in manually identifying and resolving bugs 24/7.
- Easily scale testing to cater to new features, requirements, and use cases without impacting time-to-market deadlines.
The Role Automated Testing Plays in Digital Transformation
Companies are embarking on their digital transformation journeys with immense vigor. But successful transformation isn’t just about implementing the latest tools. It is also about building new solutions and delivering them in time for customers to leverage the many features.
Regardless of whether you take the greenfield or brownfield approach to software development, the goal is the same. You must expedite digital transformation to enable innovation while minimizing risks and costs.
Testing is a critical element of the software development lifecycle. Unless you have the level of automation needed to complete projects in time, you will not be able to achieve your transformation goals with the speed and agility you need.
Automated testing enables teams to launch new solutions and/or shift workloads to the cloud quickly and cost-effectively. As such, they can optimize system and business performance. Moreover, they can easily meet user expectations while clearing the way to competitive results.
The Top Tips to Accelerate Your Path to Digital Transformation via Automated Testing
Manual testing approaches can slow down your digital transformation project and strain on your testing teams. As products and processes get more complex, these traditional testing procedures will only intensify your woes. Essentially, as business needs evolve, it calls for a more innovative approach to testing.
As elucidated above, automated testing can help accelerate your digital initiatives and solve pressing challenges. In essence, it can ward off all the challenges that traditional testing methods would otherwise bring to the fore. To that end, if you want to expedite your path to digital transformation via automated testing, here are some tips:
- Build a culture of continuous testing to uninterruptedly run automated tests and get rapid feedback on the business risks associated with the product under test.
- Make automated testing an integral part of your DevOps processes. Ensure it aligns closely across your CI/CD pipeline.
- Instead of implementing a handful of different tools, invest in a unified automated tested platform to enable seamless, successful, and scalable multi-channel automation.
- Make sure the platform you choose integrates natively with CI/CD tools such as Jira and Jenkins to drive better traceability and enable an intelligent, connected test repository.
- Pave the way for no-code/low-code testing to quickly build test suites, run test cases, and improve turnaround time with zero coding.
- Leverage the power of AI in your testing lifecycle to enhance defect tracking, enable self-healing, improve element handling, and achieve greater test coverage.
- Enable in-sprint automation to address volatility with intelligent change management and powerful reconciliation engines
- Build visual blueprints of your applications to drive automation across the quality lifecycle with a deep focus on business processes.
- Automate API and UI in the same flow to enable true end-to-end validation without handoffs.
Automated Testing - the Key to Realizing Success with Digital Transformation Initiatives
Despite the increasing focus on digital transformation, businesses are faced with the rampant challenge of poor-quality software, which puts a lot at risk. One of the biggest reasons why testing acts as a major roadblock in the transformation journey is that it is still done manually.
Testing efforts that are overly manual and siloed tend to delay the digital transformation project. Furthermore, they increase the IT budget and derail the integration of end-to-end processes. This reality behind traditional methods makes testing stand out as one of the biggest barriers to transformation success.
All in all, since manual testing methodologies aren’t fast or comprehensive enough to keep up with the accelerated pace of change, they can put critical processes and products at risk. They also tend to jeopardize the scalability and performance of your business while increasing the possibility of defects.
No doubt, automated testing is a great way to accelerate digital transformation. Invest in the right automated testing platform today to innovate faster, deliver smoother releases, and achieve better and quicker business outcomes along every step of your transformation journey.
Sign up for a personalized demo today, or reach out to our experts for more information.