Salesforce is considered one of the most preferred CRMs by companies across various industries, thanks to its wide range of cloud-based SaaS offerings, seamless integrations, and continuous innovation. According to a report by Apps Run the World, Salesforce was the leading CRM software in 2018 with a 30.9% market share and a 25% increase in CRM revenues. But Salesforce quality assurance has been overlooked by organizations due to time and cost-related constraints. However, defects seeping into production are extremely expensive. Multiple events such as data refresh, addition, or modification of business rules or new Releases from salesforce could potentially impact the Quality of an organization’s Salesforce deployments. But to validate the software for multiple iterations manually is daunting. To avoid these challenges, companies that are opting to use Salesforce are choosing automation testing. Introducing test automation into Salesforce can not only allow the testers to focus on more crucial tasks instead of doing the error-prone manual testing but also bring business value and ROI for a company.
Benefits of Salesforce Test Automation
- Increased Test Coverage: Automation testing helps achieve increased test coverage of data, which is not possible with manual testing.
- Quick Bug Detection: Automation testing in Salesforce helps in the early detection and mitigation of bugs and helps the QA teams document any software bug easily.
- Increased Efficiency and Productivity: Automation in Salesforce increases the efficiency of the testing process as it speeds up the bug reporting, test result/reporting processes, which significantly impacts the project timeline.
- Reduced Expenses: The effort on the system to execute tests frequently decreases significantly once the automation test scripts are all set to go. Thus the project costs and expenses are reduced.
- High ROI: Automation testing can help achieve a higher return of investment for your business with faster testing, reduced manual efforts, and error-free software. All of this contributes to a higher net ROI.
Though there are a lot of benefits associated with the use of automation with Salesforce testing, there are certain challenges which need to be addressed:
Challenges of Salesforce Test Automation
- Adapting to Salesforce Software Updates
As the Salesforce platform is constantly undergoing changes and improvements to ensure its proper functioning, your test automation tool needs to account for these frequent updates to avoid unnecessary problems. Due to these changes:
- With code-based solutions: Testers have to ensure themselves that tests don’t break by re-tuning the programmed scripts
- With recorders: Testers need to re-record Salesforce tests every time there is a change due to scheduled maintenance
- Complex Salesforce Web Components
Salesforce uses components such as Shadow DOM that are difficult to test with code-based solutions. Though Shadow DOM is a useful technology as it ensures compatibility across all browsers, many automation tools such as Selenium do not support it natively.
- Adjusting to Different Salesforce Versions
There are two major versions of Salesforce, namely Salesforce Classic and Salesforce Lightning. Companies have now started switching to Salesforce Lightning due to its improved UI and feature set.
While making a switch, it is crucial to ensure that your test automation tool supports the Salesforce Lightning version. Additionally, you also require proper version management to get the flexibility to roll back to the previous version if required.
- Compressed Configuration and Implementation Cycles
Salesforce testing and automation requires extra agility because of compressed configuration and implementation cycles.
How Codeless Salesforce Test Automation Can Help?
Organizations that are looking to get a scalable Salesforce test automation can find the best solution in codeless test automation. ACCELQ’s Codeless test automation addresses most of these challenges that QA teams face in Salesforce test automation so that companies can get a smooth experience with their Salesforce testing.
ACCELQ is an official Salesforce ISV partner, which ensures that ACCELQ is aligned to Salesforce Releases and that the customer gets smooth Salesforce upgrades with robust automation testing.
ACCELQ’s AI-driven test automation cloud, optimized specifically for Salesforce Dynamic Technology, makes it the best choice for Salesforce customers. ACCELQ Salesforce Content Pack accelerates the Salesforce test automation by three times. All you have to do is write your validations in simple English or drive them directly from the UI. The automation adapts to frequent configuration changes in your Salesforce implementations and seamlessly handles Salesforce specific elements.
ACCELQ uses ready-to-use test automation assets with zero technical complexities to help you give complete visibility on the quality of Salesforce implementation. With three times faster test cycles and significantly lower quality cost, you get a 70% reduced test automation effort.
You can schedule a personalized demo to know more about ACCELQ’s Salesforce Automation.