As cloud migration gains acceptance, organizations seek better testing strategies for their SaaS-based solutions. With the frequent releases and updates of cloud-based applications, business enterprises look to cope with the requirements of faster and improved testing methods. This demands a high turnaround time for completing the software testing process.
In recent years, test automation has provided a viable solution for improving software quality and efficiency. With the advent of the Oracle Cloud, business enterprises are evaluating how Oracle Test Automation can provide end-to-end testing for their cloud infrastructure. More enterprises look to leverage the capabilities of the Oracle Cloud. For this transition, they need a reliable test automation tool to reduce the turnaround time and ensure continuous delivery.
The good part is there are multiple Oracle Test Automation tools available today. We shall look at three of these tools, namely, Selenium, OATS, and ACCELQ. Which of these three automation tools are best suited for organizations?
Let us understand:
As a free and open-source testing tool for Oracle, Selenium is the most popular tool and has a growing community of users. The best part about the Selenium automation tool is its Web GUI testing feature.
The Selenium suite includes a range of testing tools, including the:
- Selenium IDE simplifies the setup process with its record-and-play functionality.
- Selenium Grid is used for parallel testing.
What does Selenium do? With this automation tool, development companies can automate web application testing, including user actions on browsers like clicking a button or typing text into online forms. Selenium supports most of the popular browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Further, test automation engineers can write the Selenium code with programming languages like C#, Python, and Java.
Here are the advantages of the Selenium tool for Oracle test automation:
- Free and open-source tool.
- Easy to download and install Selenium IDE add-on on various browsers.
- Works smoothly without managing the complexities of any Oracle ADF application.
- Enables developers to write UI tests using Oracle JDeveloper.
Here are the limitations of the Selenium tool for Oracle test automation:
- Selenium works only with web (or browser-based) applications and not with any desktop Oracle application.
- Selenium is not feasible for maintaining Selenium test scripts for Oracle cloud applications.
- Software testers find it challenging to use Selenium for end-to-end testing of Oracle apps. This is because of technical complications and its incompatibility with Oracle forms.
- Difficult to automate AJAX-driven applications like Oracle cloud apps due to the need for expert programming skills.
Oracle Application Testing Suite (OATS)
Developed by Oracle, OATS is a complete test automation tool that is compatible with every Oracle application. As a testing solution, OATS can ensure the quality and availability of both web applications and services.
Effectively, OATS is a suite of three products, namely:
- Oracle Functional Testing (OFT) is used to automate the functional testing of web applications like Oracle EBS Forms, PeopleSoft, and Salesforce.
- Oracle Load Testing product provides load (or stress) testing support for Oracle-based applications.
- Oracle Test Manager tool supports all testing-related activities including manual and automated testing and managing test requirements.
What can software testers do with OATS? For a start, OATS comes with built-in automation libraries that can simplify the setup and implementation processes. Besides that, users can easily create automation scripts for load and performance testing, in addition to automating functional and regression testing.
Here are the advantages of the OATS tool for Oracle test automation:
- Designed and developed by Oracle.
- Compatibility with all Oracle applications.
- Built-in automation components can simplify the testing design and setup process for Oracle applications.
- OATS can automate functional testing for Oracle applications with a unified scripting platform and human-readable scripts.
Here are the limitations of the OATS tool for Oracle test automation:
- OATS is a more expensive tool than other available test automation tools in the market.
- Requires detailed knowledge of the OpenScript language for Oracle testing, which is a challenge for non-technical teams.
- It requires additional tools for end-to-end test coverage of Oracle test automation.
ACCELQ provides a no-code (or codeless) automation platform for Oracle test automation. This platform enables enterprises to run and test automation for all Oracle applications. With its codeless test automation, ACCELQ enables continuous testing and delivery of Oracle apps.
Here are the advantages of the ACCELQ for Oracle test automation:
- Codeless approach for testing Oracle cloud apps and desktop applications like Oracle EBS.
- A visual model-based approach that can accelerate test development with minimum maintenance.
- End-to-end automation testing for all Oracle enterprise apps and technology stacks.
- Real-time alignment with Oracle product releases and live cloud links to update automation assets automatically.
- Pre-built automation test assets for Oracle product releases.
- AI-based codeless interactions with Oracle objects, including embedded iframes and trees.
- Rapid automation enabled by self-healing Oracle object identification.
- Automated updates to ACCELQ object library with every Oracle release.
Oracle Live Universe also provides a business process representation of Oracle test assets. This empowers business users with continuous delivery and 10x speed and also digital assurance.
Here are the limitations of the ACCELQ tool for Oracle test automation:
- ACCELQ being a commercial tool comes with a cost unlike open-source tools like Selenium.
Suggested Read- What is Oracle Test Automation and How do you do it Right?
Why ACCELQ for Oracle Test Automation?
ACCELQ effectively facilitates the creation of automation test cases used for Oracle business applications. Besides handling complex test scenarios, ACCELQ’s codeless test automation platform provides the flexibility to customize Oracle testing projects.
As discussed in this article, ACCELQ overcomes most of the challenges associated with the Selenium and OATS tools. Some of these challenges include the need for end-to-end testing and codeless testing practices.
If you are looking for a feasible solution for Oracle Test Automation, ACCELQ can help you out. Request for a product demo today!