Smartphones continue to get increasingly advanced. Today, almost every organization is launching mobile applications to meet a multitude of user needs. The mobile app market is booming with gaming, online shopping, workforce collaboration, data sharing, social media, and lifestyle apps. But for billions of mobile apps to operate correctly and provide a seamless user experience, it is vital to test them across a slew of different parameters. Hence, the popularity of mobile testing and various types of mobile testing.
In this blog, let us understand
What is mobile test automation?
Mobile test automation allows testing teams to use advanced tools to carry out different types of mobile testing. With automation, there is little or no human intervention. That is to say, as mobile devices have become the primary way in which users access applications, test automation helps in expediting the testing process. It also checks apps across every functionality with speed and efficiency.
What are the different types of mobile testing?
There are different types of testing that mobile testing teams carry out to ensure expected performance and functionality. These include:
Functional testing ensures every aspect of the mobile app works exactly as required. It tests the various user flows and features in the app. It also makes sure the app installs and launches correctly, users can log in easily, text boxes and icons appear correctly, etc.
Usability testing checks the apps for their design, response time, and user-friendliness. Right from ease of use to intuitiveness, ease of search to navigation fluidity – the right tests can ensure the user experience is free of bugs and anomalies.
Given the frequency of cyberattacks, security testing is imperative to the success of the app and the satisfaction of users. In this, testing teams test the app for data encryption, privacy, governance controls, and data sharing capabilities. This testing also ensures that the user data is not compromised in any way.
To check how a mobile application performs under different conditions, testing teams carry out frequent performance testing. It is essential for testing the app across various device, network, and server parameters such as launch time, battery and memory consumption, data transfer speed, performance in low internet connections, etc.
Speed testing checks how quickly a mobile app launches, loads, navigates, and responds to user actions. Automated approaches to speed testing allow teams to choose different device-browser combinations. Moreover, checks app speed across a multitude of permutations and combinations for optimum performance.
Interruption testing checks how a mobile app responds in case of an interruption. Does it pause and return to the original state, shut down, or react uniquely? It helps teams test apps against interruptions, such as a phone call, SMS message, low battery warning, background app refresh, low network connectivity, etc., and ensure they handle interruptions without failure.
Certainly, users use mobile apps across different devices, form factors, browsers, operating systems, and network environments. Hence, compatibility testing ensures they integrate and work seamlessly across all these different devices with particular hardware, storage, and network specifications.
Mobile apps are being used from global locations. Hence localization testing ensures the app loads and functions according to local norms and preferences. From language translation to local currency conversion, this type of testing makes sure the app adheres to regional regulations and legal requirements. This also improves the app’s accessibility and usability across a wide variety of markets.
Installation testing checks if the mobile app under test is installing and uninstalling properly. In addition, this testing also ensures that updates are automatic, uninterrupted, and error-free.
The last mobile testing type is Load testing. So Load testing tests how well the mobile application works under different loads. By simulating multiple users to access the app concurrently, load testing helps identify performance issues, evaluate backup and recovery capabilities, and prevent the app from malfunctioning under heavy load.
Which mobile testing tools are most popular?
Now that we understood various mobile testing types, let us discuss some popular tools. Mobile testing tools enable teams to automate mundane and error-prone mobile testing activities. They also automate the process of testing apps across a multitude of different devices, form factors, and sizes. These tools certainly ensure every mobile app performs flawlessly and meets user and business expectations – without a hitch.
- ACCELQ is the only true no-code mobile test automation platform. It allows the automation and execution of mobile tests across a wide variety of devices, operating systems, loads, and network environments. Being low-code allows testers to quickly set up test suites and drive comprehensive automation across the quality life cycle without any coding.
- An open-source test automation framework, Appium offers a great platform to test native, hybrid, and mobile web apps. It also provides full access to back-end APIs and DBs and allows teams to automate key testing tasks for any language and any test framework across iOS, Android, and Windows apps.
- Xamarin is a free, cross-platform mobile testing framework popularly used to run tests on iOS and Android apps. Built by Microsoft, the platform aids in ensuring the UI/UX of every app is seamless, with the right texts, buttons, and gestures.
Top tips for successful mobile testing
If you want to drive smart test management with automated test planning, you need to embrace some tips:
- Go for an advanced low-code mobile test automation platform to accelerate and improve the testing process – with zero setup and no coding.
- Leverage the power of AI to automate and execute tests across different operating systems, devices, and form factors.
- Make the most of integrated device cloud labs for cross-device testing in an effective plug-and-play model.
- Ensure mobile, web, API, backend, and full-stack automation in the same unified flow.
- Choose a tool that seamlessly integrates within your test ecosystem and presents a unified view of your quality lifecycle.
Mobile test automation brings all the benefits of automation to the realm of mobile testing, allowing testing teams to accelerate testing outcomes – moreover without needing specialized programming skills. Hence, by automating tasks across a variety of mobile OSes and development frameworks, such testing eliminates test flakiness and ensures a quick turnaround.
Embrace codeless mobile test automation today and handle the real-world complexities of mobile apps with ease!